Thursday 9 August 2018

ARC REVIEW : Cort—Unbreakable (Man Up #4) by Felice Stevens

41074291

Cort 
I spent years waiting for someone who never put me first.
He took my love, took me for granted.
Took my heart.
Now I’m on my own.
Living life my way.
The crowd only sees my smile.
Never my loneliness and pain.
I need someone to need me.
When I meet another lost soul my friends try to warn me.
He’s a liar.
A user.
Homeless.
Heartbroken.
He’s all that and more.
He’s everything I’ve ever wanted.

Harlan
I’m king of my world.
Untouchable.
Then it all comes crashing down.
My secrets are exposed.
I’m cut off from my family.
Unrecognizable from the man I used to be.
Barely surviving, living day-to-day and out of control.
Nothing to hold on to.
I let go and fall so far there’s no way up.
Until a cowboy reaches into my darkness and brings me back to the light.
With him I can breathe.
I can be who I am.
Who he needs.
He gives me hope
To find myself. 



REVIEW:


To find love. Cort—Unbreakable (Man Up #4)Cort—Unbreakable by Felice Stevens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars





I didn’t really knew Cort beside that he’s a dancing cowboy who loves Austin and Frankie, and lost without them after his best friends made couples. Knowing he’s a big sweet nugget inside after Felice ‘introduced’ us to Harlan.

Um, Harlan who, I asked myself. Then my friend Hope gave me a hint about ‘Harlan the bully’ that I hated so much for making Oren’s life miserable (One Call Away). Oooh…that Harlan.
While here I thought that Harlan is just another bad guy we need to hate until the end of the world, Felice gave him one more, two, three more chance to redeem himself, through meeting Cort.

Am I sorry? Hell, yeah. Not sorry I got caught out. Sorry I let myself get to that point. But I can’t live with regrets. Regrets serve no purpose except to keep me thinking about the past, and I’m done with who I was.”


Even before this book when Harlan showed up on Frankie’s book, I felt something for him. Pity? Sadness? I think, I recognized this situation very well.
Because yeah, people made mistakes, people made a mess in their lives, but some never had have a chance to change their lives into the better. As a counselor I’ve met many people like Harlan in real life. Most of them who came to me, wanted to change, wanted redemption, but what makes them getting more lost and desperate to the level of depression, is that they don’t know what to do, their family kicked them out without really ‘listening’, and they have nobody who accepted them, someone like Cort.

There's one scene that really broke my heart, the one with Oren. Thanks for the tears, Felice! I wanted to hold Harlan and put him in my purse so he can't hurt again :(

Cort, bless his heart. I love him so much. He’s the one that easiest to love between the three friends, me think. He’s too adorable, too sweet, too kind, and too sexy (ehem!).

“Have you spent time with him?” I jerked my thumb toward Cort. “Look at him. Gorgeous, sweet, and hot as hell. It’s like the trifecta of all that is holy. Who could resist that?”




Felice outdid herself in Harlan and Cort story, mostly for Harlan. Harlan was a horrible person back then, but he had a reason, and it was heartbreaking. I can’t hate him for that.

"If I'd been with you for ten years, you'd know exactly how I felt about you. You aren't nothing. You're everything. Everything I used to dream about but never dared to allow myself to want"


IMO, Felice writes one of the best redemption stories, and I knew this is going to be continued, because I’m now impatiently waiting for James and Malcolm’s story. I heard nothing but hate about these two.
But, hey, it’s Felice, remember? Anything, I mean, anything could happen!
Recommended!

* ARC provided by the author for an honest and unbiased review*.

Pictures courtesy of the author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment