Sunday 18 August 2019

ARC REVIEW : Long Way Home by Nicky James

47805139. sx318


It was love at first sight. 
They were soulmates. 
It was forever. 
But they were only sixteen. 
Too innocent. Too naïve. 
Too ignorant about the world around them. 
Besides, nothing lasts forever. 
With their fairy-tale future torn to shreds, both boys need to learn to find their own way in an unforgiving world. 

Gavin Buchanan is thrown into a life he didn’t want, molded to do a job he always feared. He must learn to get by, but with only his brothers in arms to lean on and secrets so deep they eat at his core every day, he struggles. How long until life in the Marine Corps turns this gentle, tender-hearted man into someone no one recognizes? 
Owen Wallace is adrift and going through the motions. Every time he tries to stand tall and put the past behind him, life kicks him down. There is only so much a person can take before they turn bitter and jaded. It wasn’t supposed to be this way. 
Their souls are bound to each other. 
Nothing will keep them apart. 
It will take time, but they just need to find their way home. 

**Triggers for PTSD**




Long Way HomeLong Way Home by Nicky James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I couldn’t look away from those swirling blue eyes. Eyes I’d seen every time I closed my own for years. Eyes that came to me in my dreams. Eyes that soothed and tormented in equal measure. My heart didn’t know if it should clench or race or swell, and my poor lungs gave up as I held my breath.


Wow!
Saying this book was sad, angsty, rollercoaster, is an understatement.
Long Way Home is the kind of book that gave you lots of feelings, sweet, blushing, angry, sad, frustrated, depression, knots in your stomach and the feeling of being betrayed, jealousy, angry, angry, angry...mostly angry.

Con :This book was THICK of angst, death, homophobic, a long journey to find each other and hookups while they're not together (this is the most disturbing thing for me).
Pro : the writing was stellar, chemistry between the two MC was thick, lovely friendships, made me cry (which I love sometimes).

Owen is Gavin's first (and only) love, right from the start when he saw Owen, the adorable Owen. All Gavin can think of is Owen. Owen is his whole world, his happily ever after kind of fairy tales he dream of.
Owen and Gavin both sixteen at the time.
Life is easy, happy, and both boys are so naive about life.
But life happened somehow, and their life were not as beautiful as they wanted to. It was ugly, rough, mean and destroyed the pure Gavin and Owen along the way.

This book spare sixteen years of their life, sixteen years full of bump road, ugliness, angst, and they're not really together for eight years. The ugliest eight years of their life. My heart was broken for Gavin. And I really wanted to kill his father for being the cause of it.
This was where I'm not happy about it, his father deserved more punishment in his life, but no closure except a divorce. Gavin practically alone in this world, I'm glad he had Niko, his best friend. While Owen had Lorenzo to be his shoulder to cry on.

Eight years of come and go, love and hate, together and separation, together and being with other people (I don't call it cheating, it was just young love need more to learn that sometimes life is not that pretty and they need to meet other people before finding their HEA).

Long Way Home is not a book for a weak heart like me, but I read it anyway, I cannot stop thinking about it anyway, I can't stop hating the the author for making Gavin and Owen's life miserable.
But in the end, I have to admit that this book consumed me to the level 'I need medicine' for my pain in my stomach and my head.
I wanted to give this book one star, but it won't be fair.
To me, this is one of those great book that you don't want to re-read it in the future. Once is enough.
I'm miserable enough. But happy for Gavin and Owen that finally their hell on earth ended beautifully. And I loved the ending so much.

Five stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment