Saturday 22 October 2016

ARC REVIEW : "RUNNING BLIND" by Venona Keyes and Kim Fielding

32497984

BLURB

 Kyle Green is on top of the world. He and Matt have been together for ten years, and—as the voice of Ecos, the wildly popular anime character—Kyle is treated like a rock star in anime circles. But in an instant, a stroke leaves him blind. When photographer Matt gets the opportunity of a lifetime, Kyle reexamines their relationship, discovers it has been a safety net rather than a true romance, and sets Matt free to pursue his dream. Kyle’s life and career as he knew them are gone, and he must now find the courage and creativity to draft a new plan.

After being away for fifteen years, Seth Caplan comes home to Chicago to care for his mother and to partner with a small start-up tech company. He and Kyle meet after Kyle’s collision with a child’s sidewalk toy, and they hit it off. Kyle wants to get back into running, and Seth becomes his guide. As they get to know each other, they start seeing each other beyond their three-times-a-week runs. But Seth’s revelation of the dark reason why he left his career in California sends the relationship into a tailspin and leaves both men running blind.


REVIEW


  Running BlindRunning Blind by Venona Keyes
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I debated with myself about this book. I liked the cover, I liked the blurb. Is that enough?
Apparently not. Sorry.
I didn't really feel good about the story, mainly the main character, Kyle. As a forty year old guy, Kyle acted and sounded like in his mid twenties or something. I know he's a manga geek and all, but still. Too childish for his age.

After losing his sight, Kyle let go his forever boyfriend and best friend, Matt to follow his dream. And Matt obeyed him. It was kinda sad when Matt felt guilty about it, especially when he's already found someone else after the breakup.
But lacking of romance between Matt and Kyle made it easier for them, I think. My problem is, Lily. Kyle's sister. IMO, she's dominated Kyle's life in all aspect. Annoying sister, you know, always around when you don't want her to be around. I was annoyed all the time by her. She ruined the whole story by her appearance alone. Damn.
And as for Seth, nothing really happened after 60 percent mark of the story. See? Did I mentioned Lily? Yeah, her. She dominated the story. Not good.

Speaking of slow burn, damn, this one is kinda frustrating slow burn. Even Seth felt the UST is killing him. Kyle giving 'taking it slow' a new meaning!
Slow...I mean slooooooooooooowwww ..... grrr!
And all the talk about all manga stuff (I love manga, don't get me wrong), to much technical details, bored me to tears.
I keep coming back asking myself, where's the romance?
Oh yeah...after 85%, phew! Romance, finally! (Still pulling my hair was kind of revelation of my frustration).
At least, Kyle and Seth are finally got their HEA.

Besides, I'm not really familiar with the author's writing style. I think too much telling, less showing is not my thing. In this case, it's me, not you, book.
I'm glad I can finished this book. Onward!

*I was given the ARC by publisher in exchange of an honest and fair review, no high rating required.*


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment